Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Upon Reflection

One of the many books littering my desk is this one:

Reflective Teaching in Second Language Classrooms (Cambridge Language Education) by Jack C. Richards and Charles Lockhart

I'm not finished reading it yet, but I can say already that I think it will be an invaluable resource!  Every new teacher should have it on the bookshelf (and take it down and use it!).

I've only just discovered ELTChat and am still figuring out how it works (and whether/how to join) but I saw that the most recent discussion was on this topic -- how timely!  I believe that every teacher who wants to be successful in the classroom must reflect, whether fresh out of training or a seasoned pro.  The nature of the reflection may be different, but the need to do it is ever-present.

But what does "reflection" mean?  How can a teacher translate musings into improvement?  This book has many practical suggestions.  I'm especially excited about the idea of an action research project (something I've already been doing but not necessarily very well!).

No comments:

Post a Comment