Friday, December 9, 2011

An Untapped Resource

Gosh, for someone who hangs around at the library for 18 -- make that 24 now -- hours a week, I don't check out very many books!  Sure, I'm in English class most of that time.  But still.  I should probably take advantage of the time I'm not teaching to explore potential resources more.

For example, I noticed this book recently: In November by Cynthia Rylant with lovely illustrations by Jill Kastner.  It's an attractive picture book; I enjoyed it and I think beginning adult readers might enjoy it too.  The book evokes the mood of Thanksgiving time without mentioning the holiday by name.  Language is simple, but poetic. Unlike many picture books, it's not written from the perspective of a child.

Last year, some of my adult students read a great version of "Billy Goats Gruff" as found on the library bookshelf (sorry, I don't have a link to the particular book at the moment).  They passed the book around and read aloud, turning the book around and showing the wonderful, evocative pictures as they finished. I think we could do this more often.  In fact, why couldn't the students browse through the books on the shelves and discover their own picture books to share?  There are so many fine books that are enjoyable at many levels.

I think we should have a "field trip" to the bookshelves in the library outside our meeting room soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment