Tuesday, May 27, 2014

An Awesome Input Opportunity

Hubby and I went in to town over the holiday weekend for some low-key appreciation of our fair city. We moved slowly because I bruised my foot last week.  This had the positive effect of making us pause for contemplation more often than we already do.  It made details become more apparent, I think.  At Carpenters Hall, I noticed that many (but not all) of the panes in the windows were beautifully wavy ... was it original Colonial-era glass?  Here is a picture of a nearby office building as seen through one of them.

Yes, the theme of "what do I see here?" continues ...
We had wanted to  check out Independence Hall but it was a hotbed of touristic activity on such a fine day, so we sat in a nearby park while I had my morning coffee.  After a few minutes, a young man approached us.  It turns out that we were sitting at one of the "Once Upon a Nation" storytelling benches which were just opening for the summer season.  Storytellers dot the Historic District, each one armed with several tales related to nearby points of interest.  I've been eagerly awaiting their opening because I would like to stop by with a group of learners before the end of June (when our current program ends).

The young man (I failed to get his name) offered to tell us one of his stories and we chose to hear about the Fort Wilson Riot of 1779, which took place only a few blocks away from where we sat.  I watched the story with my learners in mind. Our storyteller did an excellent job, speaking clearly and dramatically, and using a lot of body language to support his story.  I heard only a few words that might give my group pause (muskets, sabers, grievances).  After the story was finished, I asked him if he'd mind if my group (when we come) could ask him questions to be sure they understood. He was all for it.  What a fabulous resource for our class!  I wish it were available all  year round.  After we attend, I'll report here of course.

What I would really love would be to see a learner take independent advantage of this awesome opportunity by visiting all of the benches ... and maybe even hearing the same story more than once.  And it's free -- well, we taxpayers have already paid for it!




No comments:

Post a Comment